There are many benefits to having a gas heating system; they are less expensive to operate and outperform most electrical systems. However, there is always a very real and present danger, as well. Gas heating systems emit a low level of carbon monoxide, which can be poisonous. Because natural gas is extremely flammable, there is always the risk of fire, too. It’s imperative for your safety that you regularly maintain your gas furnace, and seek furnace repair in Tuscaloosa, AL if necessary. If a problem should occur, being aware of these few warning signs could make all the difference.
A faulty gas heater can create excess amounts of carbon monoxide in your home. These excess levels of carbon monoxide can cause a variety of physical symptoms. High levels of carbon monoxide can even cause you to pass out or die. If there is a carbon monoxide leak in your home caused by a faulty gas heating system, health problems you already have may worsen, or you may experience one or a combination of the following symptoms:
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
If you experience any of these symptoms, have your heating system checked right away.
A strange odor
Natural gas is actually odorless, so a chemical is added to it to create an odor so that a leak can be detected by a strong rotten-egg smell. If your furnace is running and you smell this pungent odor, turn off the system, leave your home immediately, and call for emergency assistance. If you notice a burning or sooty smell when your furnace is running, shut off the system immediately and call for professional furnace repair in Tuscaloosa, AL.
Signs of overheating
Gas heaters not only use a flammable gas, but they also use an open flame, which makes the possibility of fire something to be on the lookout for. To prevent fire, watch for signs that your heating system may be overheating. Check the walls around the heater for signs of overheating. If the walls are too hot to touch or show heat damage, such as discoloration or soot stains, call for professional furnace repair in Tuscaloosa, AL immediately. Other signs of an overheated system include a yellow flame or a popping or banging sound when you turn the system on.
To avoid dangerous problems caused by a faulty gas heating system, the best thing to do is to be proactive about conducting regular maintenance on your system. Regularly changing your filters and having your system checked at least twice a year can make all the difference. However, even the most carefully maintained furnace can still run into issues. To help keep your family safe, be aware of signs that your heating system may not be functioning properly. If something seems wrong, don’t hesitate to call Adams Heating & Cooling for a full system check or, if necessary, reach out for emergency assistance. The way you respond to a faulty gas heating system could save your life.