With the hot summer months approaching, you will most certainly be using your air conditioner to keep cool. But as a result, you will also see a spike in your electricity bill, as this is a major contributor to higher costs. Having your air conditioner maintained by an air conditioning contractor in Tuscaloosa, AL will help to make sure your unit is operating properly and running at maximum efficiency. Here are some tips for managing your air conditioner use during summer to help keep your electricity bill low, while still allowing you to stay cool:
- Raise the temperature: By raising the temperature on your air conditioner a few degrees you will be able to see savings on your electricity bill. Moving the temperature a degree or two will not be noticeable to your comfort level, but you will save 3 to 4 percent on your energy bill for every degree you move the temperature up.
- Install a programmable thermostat: Contrary to what most believe, it actually takes less energy to turn your air conditioner off when you are not home and back on to get it to temperature when you are home. A programmable thermostat will allow you to program it to shut off when you leave for the day and turn back on right before you are scheduled to return. This will use less energy and save you money on your electricity bill. An air conditioning contractor in Tuscaloosa, AL can help you install a programmable thermostat.
- Replace your air conditioner’s filter: A dirty filter actually makes your air conditioner work harder, which uses more electricity. By replacing the filter each month, you will help your air conditioner work more efficiently and save on your electricity bill. In addition, having your air conditioner regularly serviced by an air conditioning contractor in Tuscaloosa, AL will help your unit work more efficiently, helping to keep your energy bill down.
- Install an energy efficient air conditioner: If you are currently operating an older air conditioner, you may look into replacing it with a more energy efficient unit. Look for an Energy Star model, which uses 15 percent less energy than other new models. The unit’s SEER rating should be 13 or higher. The higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the unit. An air conditioning contractor in Tuscaloosa, AL can also recommend a unit that is right size for your home.
- Add ceiling fans: A ceiling fan will allow you to keep the temperature of your air conditioner a few degrees higher and still keep you cool. The added air movement of the fan adds to the cool air of your air conditioner, creating a wind chill effect that will be sure to keep you cool. Fans are a cost effective way to keep cool during the summer and they only cost about a penny an hour to run.
Having regular maintenance done on your air conditioner by an air conditioning contractor in Tuscaloosa, AL will help to ensure you are saving on your energy bill during the warm summer months. Contact Adams Heating & Cooling for all of your HVAC needs. We offer air conditioner repair and new unit installations to help keep you cool this summer.