Have you noticed that you tend to get the sniffles if you spend too much time in your house? Have others visited you and been put off by a musty or even moldy odor? Do you sometimes have the urge to open every window in your house to let in some nice, fresh air? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you could be dealing with poor air quality in your home.
While there are many different causes of poor air quality, it can usually be cleared up with a combination of cleanliness, effort and smart choices. Here are six ways to improve your home’s air quality, from your source for air duct cleaning in Tuscaloosa, AL:
- Clean your floors: If you only have the time and energy to keep one part of your home clean and tidy at all times, make sure the floors are where you direct your attention. Carpet, as well as tile and hard wood, can all harbor dust, debris, allergens and even mold, which can wreak havoc on your air supply. Vacuum, sweep and mop at least a couple times a week, and make sure there are foot mats at every entrance to your home.
- Avoid artificial scents: It might seem counterintuitive, but that nice-smelling air freshener you are using might actually be bad for your air quality in the long run. Rather than use chemicals to freshen your air, try using naturally scented candles, or even incense, instead.
- Maintain healthy humidity: Too much humidity can turn your house into a breeding ground for mold and mildew. When it comes to the side effects of those two unwanted guests, air quality will be the least of your worries. Avoid this risk by keeping your humidity level somewhere between 30 and 50 percent.
- Enforce a smoking ban: We probably do not need to explain how bad smoking is for your air quality (or your health), so if you must smoke, do so outside. If you live with someone else who smokes, have a household meeting to come up with fair solutions about when and where they are allowed to smoke.
- Put up screens: Letting in some fresh air every now and then is good for your health and your home, but all the allergens and other foreign particles that can come along with that fresh air are not so great for your air quality. Putting up efficient screens over your doors and windows will allow you to enjoy fresh air without the worry.
- Clean your ducts: Finally, all of the above tips are great, but they will not be very effective if you neglect to regularly and thoroughly clean your ducts. Hiring an experienced professional for air duct cleaning in Tuscaloosa, AL will ensure that your air quality stays nice and high.
For more information about air quality, or to request service, please get in touch with Adams Heating & Cooling, your locally owned and operated source for quality air duct cleaning in Tuscaloosa, AL.