You’ve had a nagging cough, some bad allergies or just haven’t felt yourself for a while now and you suspect that it has something to do with the air quality in your home. You call a professional to come and inspect your ducts and, sure enough, you find that there’s a substantial amount of dust and debris within them, which is causing you to feel less than 100 percent. And, upon further inspection, an HVAC professional informs you that the best option available to you is to replace your ducts, rather than have them cleaned. Should you take their advice or is this just an upsell, to get you to spend more money?
When it comes to air duct cleaning versus air duct replacement in Tuscaloosa, AL, there’s a certain grey area that must be considered when distinguishing between the two services. While both will invariably improve the quality of the air you’re breathing each and every day, it may be hard to tell is a full replacement of your ducts is necessary over just a cleaning. Take a look at a couple of defining factors that definitely point to signs of needing a replacement, versus a simple cleaning:
- If your ducts are made of plastic or fiberboard, they’re going to be tremendously harder to clean than metal ducts and, depending on the state of dirtiness that surrounds your ducts, cleaning might not be a viable option.
- If mold or rodent excrement is present in your ductwork, a cleaning can remove these items, but it might not eliminate the full source of the contaminate. A full duct replacement in Tuscaloosa, AL is usually preferred to ensure that the problem is completely eradicated.
- If there is damage to your ductwork, a replacement may kill two birds with one stone—ensuring that your ducts are in prime condition and also clean.
These factors aside, however, duct replacements aren’t always necessary if you’re able to find an experienced professional who can thoroughly clean your ducts. In fact, eight out of ten times, a duct cleaning is going to be sufficient and will noticeably restore the quality of your air without much cost to you overall. Take a look at some ways to tell if your home is in need of duct cleaning:
- If you clean and more dust appears the very next day, your HVAC system could be introducing dust into the environment on a daily basis. This is especially true in homes during winter, when windows are closed and forced air is relied upon for comfortable living.
- If you are constantly dealing with a dry, scratchy throat or skin. This could represent a higher concentration of dust in the air.
- If you take the vent off of a duct in your home and there is visible dust, or if you reach into one and are able to wipe dust off of the surface, your ducts may be due for a cleaning.
It all comes down to your home’s unique situation when you’re considering duct cleaning versus duct replacement in Tuscaloosa, AL. Make an informed decision for yourself and consult with an experienced professional to make sure that you’re making the right move for your health and your quality of life.