Each year an average of 200 homeowners die from carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes, while another 40,000 seek medical treatment for severe health conditions caused by overexposure to this toxic gas. Because carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, it’s virtually undetectable within a home, making it one of the most hazardous issues to deal with during the winter months.
To make matters worse, many people believe that their poor health during the winter months is due to other illnesses, such as a cold or flu, which often leaves them susceptible to continued exposure to unchecked carbon monoxide levels within the home.
How do you detect and deal with a problem that you can’t see and that’s often mistaken for common illnesses? The first step is to have carbon monoxide detectors installed within your home, followed by a checkup from your local heating and cooling professional for proper heating maintenance in Tuscaloosa.
Protection through detection
Carbon monoxide detectors are relatively inexpensive and will pay dividends to you when properly installed in your home. These detectors can be purchased at any major hardware store and come in a variety of styles, which are easily applied to different areas of your home. Near the heating unit itself, in bedrooms and in hallways are common areas for carbon monoxide detectors to be installed and finding the right model for each of these areas is simple.
Once your detector is installed, be sure to test it and ensure that it continues to be tested at least once per week. Keeping up on regular tests will alert you to any malfunctions within the unit itself and will ensure that you’re getting accurate readings wherever it’s installed.
Carbon monoxide in homes becomes lethal at levels over 100ppm, which can quickly be achieved if your home doesn’t have proper ventilation or is designed with tight areas. Your detector will sound far before this level, giving you ample time to get yourself and your family to safety and call for heating maintenance in Tuscaloosa.
Remedy the issue
A carbon monoxide buildup doesn’t spell a permanent issue for your home—it can be corrected under the experienced service of a heating maintenance professional. An experienced contractor will pinpoint the issue causing carbon monoxide buildup—whether it’s a faulty connection or improper ventilation—and will work to correct the issue to absolve your home of the buildup once and for all.
Many times, simple heating maintenance in Tuscaloosa is enough to get the job done. Correcting the airflow near your furnace or fixing a poor connection can have tremendous results that leave your home free of this deadly gas. In many cases, vent coverings tend to be the problem, which is easily solved by cleaning the vent and ensuring that it’s always properly uncovered.
If you suspect that your home is slowly falling prey to a carbon monoxide buildup, it’s paramount that you install the proper detection units and observe any readings that they give off. At the very least, be sure to call your local heating professional to come and inspect your unit for any carbon monoxide related issues. Remember, the safety of you and your family could depend on it.